Amsterdam is Ready! World’s premier denim mills and emerging designers challenge to win the primacy in denim sector
Everything is almost ready for the Global Denim Awards, the first-of-its-kind runway show and competition which pairs the world’s premier denim mills with emerging designers in order to connect talent and industry and create a directional platform for the future of denim design, innovation, sustainability and craftsmanship.
The participants have the opportunity to visit designated mill to develop an in-depth understanding of fibre, fabric, wash and denim development. Eight teams are challenged to create a capsule collection of 5 denim outfits that showcase their combined craftsmanship and innovative ideas.
This year Global Denim Awards will take place on October 29th and coincide with the Amsterdam edition of the Kingpins Show. Developed by HTNK Fashion Recruitment & Consultancy, House of Denim and Kingpins Show, the event is supported by e3, the program that provides stringent guidelines for farmers in the United States who grow Certified FiberMax® or authentic Stoneville® cotton.
The participants come from all over the world, but there is a strong presence of Italian designers, like Sartoria Diletto, Italy’s Industria Tessile Del Vomano mills and the renowned Candiani Denim. All the collections will be judged on and off the catwalk by a jury of denim professionals and experts (Adriano Goldschmied, Amy Leverton, Menno van Meurs and Pierre Morisset) on the merits of the design and the innovative nature of the denim fabrications: the winning designer will be awarded €10,000 for the best collection that will be showcased at the Kingpins shows in Amsterdam, New York and Hong Kong and at Amsterdam Denim Days 2016; the mill with the most innovative fabric will also win a special award.
The eight participating teams will be:
- Advance Denim Co (since 1987, China), one of China’s oldest mills is known for its premium denim. They teamed up with ArtEZ Institute of the Arts graduates Tung Trinh and Tim Becx.
- Atlantic Mills (since 2002, Thailand) is a family-owned company with one of the largest selvedge collections available worldwide. They teamed up with Swiss designer Michael Seiter.
- Berto Textile Industry (since 1887, Italy) is renowned for its craftsmanship in knitwear and denim. They partnered with Italian StudioPretzel founded in 2011 by Emiliano Laszlo.
- Calik Denim (since 1987, Turkey) is one of the largest denim mills in the world. They teamed up with Istanbul-based designer Gülçin Çengel.
- Candiani Denim (since 1938, Italy) states being world’s most sustainable denim mill. They teamed up with Sartoria Diletto by Andrea Diletto, an Italian master-tailor who was born and raised in Germany.
- ITV Denim (since 1973, Italy) delivered last year’s winner of the Global Denim Awards. This year they teamed up with ready to wear label Alexandra Frida from Amsterdam.
- Prosperity Textile LTD. (since 1995, China) may be one of the fastest growing denim mills in the world. They teamed up with Dutch creative studio Maison the Faux.
- Tejidos Royo (1903, Spain) is driven by sustainable production of cutting-edge denim and teamed up with Dutchman John-Randy Anthony, who recently graduated of Jean School Amsterdam.
We’ll be there again, and you?
Watch the video of the last edition!